What got them here won’t keep them here…at the next level.
Moving from labor into management or supervision is not just a step up. Coming in from the field or warehouse, moving ‘off the tools’ into management is much different than stepping up in an office environment. In fact, there are at least seven different things that have to change and we expect managers to change overnight. They won’t.
Blue Collar University® has three primary functions:
- Consult with businesses that have blue collar managers and supervisors to help them become more productive.
- Train, develop, coach, and mentor people moving from labor into supervision and management with basic management skills.
- Coach and mentor the owners, leadership, or managers of blue collar managers. In other words, act as an interpreter between the levels of management.
They have the job, now what?
- The key to success is never in a job description.
- How clearly will you both know what the critical things are that need to get done?
- How will you both know if they are on the right path?
Will they need help in these areas?
- Planning – looking at things more strategically than tactically.
- Communications –
- What do they need to say and when?
- Who do they say it to?
- Decision making
- Understanding motivation
- Presentations –
- Are they going to do presentations, even very brief ones, at meetings?
- Will they be doing Safety Training presentations?
- Will they be effective?
Subscribe to the free updates here:
Come back and browse the site and blog.